Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency, which can be defined as decentralized digital money. There are many cryptocurrencies in the world but Bitcoin is unique for a few reasons:
1. It is the world’s first decentralized cryptocurrency.
2. It does not have a CEO or owner,
3. It has never been compromised since its conception.
4. Bitcoin is finite. Only twenty-one million whole coins will ever exist.
Note: Bitcoin spelled with a lower cased letter b, – bitcoin – refers to individual bitcoins, fractions of bitcoins, and the use of Bitcoin as a currency. This grammatical rule is the same reason why you would capitalize, the United States’ Dollar when speaking of it formally, but use the lower case version when saying, “I have ten dollars”.
- Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System – Bitcoin.org